Saturday, January 7, 2006

Growers and Grocers

You may have seen the new food blog network that Kate and others have founded. It's called Well Fed, and it's set up much like Weblogs, Inc. in that it encompasses several topic-specific blogs. You may have also noticed that I'm the editor of the Growers and Grocers portion, which covers everything from soil to shelf.



I became interested in the craft of editing when I started writing for The Art of Eating. I am not even a Padawan next to Ed Behr's Jedi Master editing, but I've come to enjoy the fiddly work of restructuring text (my writers may not be so keen on this tendency, however). I try to learn from all my editors, and I hope I can do justice to their teaching in my tenure at Growers and Grocers. This gives me a chance to see if I really enjoy this work or if I just think I do.



Of course, editing is more than just moving words around. I'll also be setting the site's philosophy, which is that consumers should understand their food and where it comes from. I'm also hoping to give "new voices" a wider audience as well as some clips they can use if they want to pitch magazines and newspapers. I think most publications do a poor job of enabling promising writers.



Stop by Growers and Grocers and let me know what you think. What would you like to see?