Sunday, May 21, 2006

WBW 21/IMBB 26: Merkelbach Riesling Kabinett

Do I have a favorite wine? Something to use for the "Pair your favorite wine with food" slant of this month's joint edition of Is My Blog Burning and Wine Blogging Wednesday? My favorite wine varies with the week, but given my recent article and my upcoming class (there's still room, by the way), I figured I would disappoint my readers if I didn't choose a Mosel Riesling.



I've written of the Merkelbachs before. The two elderly brothers produce the last of the most traditional Riesling from their vines along the winding Mosel river. Clean and elegant, their wines lack the opulence of wines from other producers on the same slopes, but possess a refined quality that makes them just as desirable.



2004 Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Kabinett, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer

Vibrant aromas of green apple, "Honey Nut Cheerios," and of course that telltale Mosel minerality. Bright acidity and vibrant Granny Smith apple flavors settle in for long finish. A wine that will age well, given the reputation of its site—one of the undisputed champs of the region—and the integrity of its makers. Mosel Riesling pairs happily with a zillion dishes. We drank it alongside steamed sablefish atop a bed of sorrel and spinach with a beurre rouge sauce.