Monday, June 26, 2006

Hardneck Garlic in The Art of Eating

I have a small piece about hardneck garlic in issue 72 of The Art of Eating. When I discovered hardneck garlic two years ago, I wanted to do a piece about how chefs take advantage of the different tastes of these more flavorful bulbs.



The problem is: No chefs really do. So we whittled down my idea to a Notes & Resource that hopefully educates AoE readers about this more interesting type of garlic. Call now to order your copy! And tell them I sent you.



If 900 words about hardneck garlic aren't enough to get you to your phone or their website, here's the full description, which contains the sequel, as it were, to Ed's earlier Comté piece: "A Particular Taste: Vin Jaune and Other Traditional Wines of the Jura" — Recommended wine producers — Addresses in the Franche-Comté — Mexican Vanilla: Sketches in Papantla — A Taste by Any Other Name: Umami Comes West — recipes — notes and resources (garlic, dried morels, filet green beans, Mexican vanilla beans) — letters — books: Lee Reich's Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden.