Monday will be my last day as the editor of Growers & Grocers. I wish I could cite some press-generating motive, but in truth, my other projects don't leave me the time to give GnG the attention it deserves. I will continue to write for the site on occasion, however.
While the decision makes me sadI enjoy editingI'm happy to see GnG go into good hands. Sheryl Kirby, who edits the sister site Fit Fare, will take the reins of GnG, and she has already brought a new energy and a well-organized calendar to my soon-to-be-former soapbox. I fully expect GnG to flourish under her direction.
Here's what we've been covering this week:
- Trevor Corson (author of The Secret Life of Lobsters) thinks that Whole Foods is a hypocrite for their decision to stop carrying fresh lobster.
- High-fructose corn syrup behaves the same way in the body as table sugar. At least according to a study funded by Pepsi. Well, that's a relief.
- For once, the USDA wants to make it harder for a company to get a prestigious label. You can comment on their pending decision to toughen the "grass-fed" criteria.
- ConAgra will politely ask its suppliers to please consider a more humane method for slaughtering their battery-farm, debeaked chickens.
- Bold explorers have braved the crowded, barbecue-sauce-splattered aisles of the New York Fancy Food Show, and they've brought back their findings for you to enjoy from the comfort of your home.
- Small meat processors can't sell across state borders because of archaic laws, but they'd like to change that.