Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Cream Soda Tasting from Long Ago

In the summer of 2000, my friend Pete stumbled onto the massive list of cream sodas available at Pop The Soda Shop, ultimate purveyor of all things soda.



Pete was so excited that he bought a bottle each of 20 different sodas, and nine of us converged for a blind tasting. (After which we could barely move because of the sugar coma: This was well before I learned about spitting at tastings.) Our friend Sarah compiled the results into an elaborate spreadsheet that sat, hidden, on Tim's hard drive until I asked if I could repost an abridged form here for the world to see. The list doesn't reflect the current inventory of cream sodas at Pop the Soda Shop, but it's a good start. I continue to buy Pearson Brothers whenever I can, though it's hard to find. Henry Weinhard's, however, has a larger production level and a more widespread distribution.

























SodaScore  Comments
Pearson Bros. of SF4.9Pete wanted it stickier
Henry Weinhard's4.6With honey and natural vanilla
Moxie3.4Not flavored enough, too carbonated
Pirate's Keg3.3Notes of vanilla and caramelized sugar
IBC3.1Astringent and too sweet. Not enough vanilla.
Jones Soda Co.3.1Burnt marshmallow taste. Nice aftertaste.
Jack Black's Blue2.9Windex blue, good flavor for some, too artificial for others
Original Stewart's2.8Not enough vanilla, too carbonated.
Hansen's Signature Vanilla2.6Brief taste and smell
Hansen's Signature Orange2.6Orange-ish aroma with a weak orange taste
Hot Rod Magazine Sweet & Sticky Burn Out2.4Boring, artificial, caffeinated
Thomas Kemper Honey Vanilla2.3Musky taste/smell, metallic aftertaste
Henry Weinhard's Orange2.3Tasters loved it or hated it.
Journey Twisted Bean2.1Chai flavor that few liked. No vanilla.
Outlaw Hemp Butterscotch2.0"The cream soda of despair."
Dr. Brown's Original1.9Broad spectrum of opinions
Boylan Bottle Works1.9Baking soda/chalk taste. No vanilla flavor.
Dad's Classic Creamy Red1.8NyQuil. Unsubtle, artificial, bad aftertaste.
Journey Caribbean1.4Rental car smell
Pirate's Keg Orange & Cream1.4"Stale rotten taste."