Many of you know that I'm always happy to bash Whole Foods. I disapprove of its anti-union philosophy, its phony "we love local food" stance, and its bullying of Grimaud Farms.
So you can imagine how happy I was when Erik Sherman sent me a link to his post about dyed salmon in Whole Foods. He noticed a tag informing the consumer that the fish was dyed, which is a good practice, but then he wondered how this fits into the company's stated policy to avoid all foods with artificial colorings and flavorings. Of course, the dye is probably a "natural" dye in the way that soda has "natural" flavors, but I'd argue that dyed fish goes against the spirit of the company's marketing message, if not the letter. The PR representatives haven't responded to his emailed queries yet, says Erik.
Update: Erik received a response from Whole Foods and dissects it on his site.