Thursday, June 14, 2007

Rice, Peas, and Squash Blossoms



Photo by Melissa Schneider.

I don't often write a "what we ate last night" post. After all, others do it better. But Melissa decided to take this pretty picture of a weekend dinner I made, and I decided to share it.



We discovered Massa rice a few weeks ago and have used the new find with abandon. With some shelling peas and burgundy amaranth that we found at Saturday's market, we had a nice combination. But I couldn't resist the squash blossoms, which I stuffed with a mixture of goat cheese and crushed almonds before breading and frying the peppery, orange flowers.



Goat cheese with Sauvignon Blanc is a classic pairing, and that grape often has a flavor of green peas. How convenient that our friends gave us a Rochioli Sauvignon Blanc just two weeks before. Bright grassy flavors with a zingy lime zest component refreshed us as we ate.