Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Around The Web

The Sustainable Table folks, best known for the Meatrix cartoons that educate about industrial agriculture, have started podcasting. Now you can listen to short pieces about organic, local, and ethical food while you walk to work. Click here for the iTunes link.



Skip Lombardi wrote to me about his Food Stamp Challenge, in which he and his significant other are trying to live on Food Stamp amounts. He distances himself from the politicians who have done this recently, saying, "most of the participants we've read about made little or no attempt to actually cook! They simply went to grocery stores and bought foods that seemed cheap." The two of them, on the other hand, are passionate cooks. They want to stimulate discussion about the benefits of cooking and make constructive suggestions to diners on Food Stamp budgets. Pool resources, they suggest, among other things.



I had never read Peter Barrett's cookblog until he wrote me a couple months ago, but I feel like I've found a kindred spirit on the other side of the country. He salt cures his own meat, experiments with sous vide cooking, and loves good wine.